Bullock County was created out of portions of Macon, Barbour, Pike and Montgomery Counties by the Alabama State Legislature, December 5, 1866. It was named for Colonel Edward C. Bullock from Barbour County of the 18th Alabama Infantry Regiment. Union Springs incorporated January 13, 1844, was selected as County Seat of Bullock County in February 1867. County Officials were elected, a jail and courthouse were built, and new brick business houses were built to replace the old wooden ones. Railroads were routed through the town, cotton warehouses were built, two cemeteries, a fire department and schools established.
Bullock County is located in the southeastern section of the state, in the prairie region and bordered by Macon, Barbour, Pike and Montgomery counties. Bullock County encompasses 625 square miles. The Chunnenuggee Ridge runs through the center of the County. Other Communities include Aberfoil, Blues Old Stand, Cornerstone, Fitzpatrick, Guerryton, Hector, Inverness, Midway, Mitchell Station, Perote, Smut Eye, Tanyard, Thompson, and Three Notch.